Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Winter beauty survival guide: Skincare



Winter is slowly approaching and with the cold comes dry and sensitive skin, or that is the case for me. So what can you do to make the best out of your skin this winter? Keep reading to see what I do to keep my dry and sensitive skin happy and supple.

Cleansers: 
Don't wash your face with harsh face washes, try using one for dry sensitive skin or switch to a cleansing milk, they cleanse really well and do not strip your face of moisture. Alternatively you can do an oil cleanse instead, try a a blend of 10% castor oil and 90% sunflower seed oil. Massage the oil into your face and rinse it off with a washcloth soaked in hot water.

                                                  Masks and treatments:
It's time for some intensive care. Get your hands on a good nourishing moisture mask and make sure to use it 1-2 times a week. If you suffer from sensitive skin you will also benefit from using a nice skin calming face mask for sensitive skin. I use the Montagne Jeunesse sensitive skin mask and serum. There is enough for 2 applications in one sachet so store the rest in a small container to use later in the week. Use the calming mask 1-2 times a week or when your skin needs it. Another great treatment that I really like is a homemade moisture mask, I just mash up some avocado, almond oil and youghurt and let it sit on my face for 30 minutes, I love how it makes my skin glow.

Serums: If you haven't tried serums yet, now is the time to do it. You can get all kinds of serums that suit your speciffic needs. I personally love the Body Shop vitamin E moisture serum. You apply the serum on your freshly cleansed face before applying moisturiser.


Exfoliation: I like to switch to the most gentle exfoliater I can find. Go for something for sensitive and dry skin and don't overdo it. Once or twice a week is more than enough for me. Gently massage the exfoliater into the skin, don't push and pull on your skin and keep away from red and irritated areas.
Try making your own sugar scrub with almond oil or avocado oil and sugar, but beware that sugar may be too harsh for you so be very gentle.

Moisturisers:You will need a good nourishing moisturiser that can protect your skin from wind and weather. If you can, use a moisturiser with spf, even though it may seem cold and dark the sun is still there so it's always good to protect your skin. Make sure to use a moisturiser that fits your specific needs, don't go for the pore minimizer if you really need something for dehydrated skin and such.I use Yves Rocher Cure Solutions anti fatigue moisturiser at the moment and it does a decent job at protecting my skin from harsh weather.

Foundation: you may need to rethink your makeup routine. I know I need to that when winter approaches. I switch to emollient cream foundations, steer clear of heavy coverage and cream to powder products. Makeup has a nasty tendancy to cling to dry spots, so if your skin is really dry less is definately more. Try using a tinted moisturiser instead.I prefer to apply my foundation with a sponge as I feel it gives me the best application ang clings the least to dry skin.

Powders: Refrain from using any powder on your face unless you absolutely have to. And avoid using it on your dry, red and itching patches as it will only enchance it and make it even more itchy. I found that using ELF mineral foundation is better than regular setting powder. It seems more oily than regular powder, but I do still have to be careful. Also be careful with applying products with powder brushes and such, try using puffs and sponges to avoid micro dermabrasion (lifting of the dry skin wich makes the makeup cling even more to the dry pacthes)

Tips: Don't be afraid to ask for samples, skincare products can be expensive and it would suck if you bought something to find that it did not work for you.


Try and keep a skincare journal, it can be hard to figure out what really worked for you if you don't "listen" to your skin and take notice.

Beauty is not only skin deep, and theres is actually things yout can eat and drink to improve your skin. Make sure to drink plenty of water, don't be afraid to get some essential fatty acids from salmon, almonds and such. Also it is important that you get your beauty sleep,

Did you know: That it's actually not the cold weather alone that dries your skin out in the winter? it's actually also the warm and dry indoor climate. Don't be tempted to heat up your house too much, it's better to put on an extra sweater. Or you could also invest in a humidifier.

Loevens.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© *Loevens makeup rambles*. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig