Saturday, January 17, 2015

Why I'm just not that into E.L.F anymore


E.L.F. or eyes lips face cosmetics, was a big part of what made me start blogging. I had discovered them back in 2009 I believe. And I wanted to try everything! So I started looking for swatches and reviews online. And in 2011 I started blogging myself.

I have tried A LOT of ELF products throughout the years, doing several huge hauls. Everything was just so new and exciting and soooo affordable.

But the over the last 2 years, my interest in ELF has decreased a lot. And there are several reasons for this. (in no particular order)

1. increase in prices. This is not the biggest reason, but the prices on the UK website has increased over the years, and I just don't always feel like spending £7-£10 on an ELF palette when there are other brands with better palettes and lower or similar prices.

2. Discovering other budget brands. I'm talking about Essence and Makeup revolution in particular. I have just discovered other brands, that I felt were more up to date, with prettier packaging and colors more suited to my specific preferences.

3. lack of new exciting products. I remember a time, where you could not log in to ELF's website without a new product being launched. And now there's just no much going on. I'm speaking about the European website in particular. I have seen so many awesome ELF products on the US site that I would like to try, but either they take a year to launch on the European website or they don't launch at all.

4. product fails/overall quality.I used to rave about ELF quality. And I meant every single Word. I used to think that the quality was amazing for the Price. And I do have to admit that there are some amazing products amongst their vast line. But there are definately also some bad bad products in between. Like face products that have broken me out, chunky glittery lip products and bad eyeshadows.

Take a look at some of the products I have tried in the last 5 years.






Now after all that negativity I want to let you Guys know, that I do have quite a few ELF favorites as well. I have products from ELF that I use on a daily basis, and products that I have repurchased countless times. But I can't remember when I did my last haul or when I felt compelled to shop their newest items.

I'll try and do an ELF favorites post soon, so you can see all the Things that I do really like. But I need to repurchase some of the items first. So expect a favorites post some time this spring. I should really also try some of their newer products, but I think I might get them from the US website instead, the UK one just isn't all that updated or amazing to me.

So that was a little rant. What did you think of this type of post? do you agree with me?
 
SHARE:

21 comments

  1. Great post! you've got a beautiful blog dear
    i'm following you via GFC, kindly follow back
    www.dimplekhadi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you. I will have a look at your blog.

      Delete
  2. I've never tried ELF before but the prices are a little too expensive for me as you said. x x

    www.beyondthevelvet.blgospot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to really think it was awesome for the Price. But I have since discovered other brands that I feel are more me.

      Delete
  3. I never tried anything from elf but it seems like they have great products!
    xx
    www.theblackblush.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have some great products, but also some really bad ones.

      Delete
  4. I tried a good few items many years ago but nothing was really good enough to repurchase other than brush shampoo.
    Then they started spamming me with sale/ new product/ sale emails and I completely lost interest in them as a brand.
    You're right, there are so many other budget brands out there now that ELF have gone off my radar.
    You're certainly had a good few hauls though.

    Gill x http://eyelinerflicks.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I also get a lot of e-mails but it's never anything too interesting. I did most of my hauls when ELF was having 50% off sales, wich never seem to happen anymore. I would definately haul Again if the sale was good enough, just to stock up on a few of the Things I really do like.

      Delete
  5. I loved the blush&bronze duo from them and nothing else, sadly.
    great post! :)


    www.beautybyadnill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not get that to Work for me. The bronzer was too dark and warm and the blush was too light haha, just my luck.

      Delete
  6. I also use to love elf, burt I don't even buy it anymore..

    THE PINK ELEPHANT SHOE | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like ELF needs to up their game a Little, if they want to keep my attention :)

      Delete
  7. I know what you mean about ELF. I've found some good products, some of their blushers are great and I really like their 100 color eye palette. But other stuff I have tried like eye shadows, brushes, concealers and foundations are absolute rubbish. The pigments are very hit and miss and a lot of them are super powdery. I also find their color range to be a bit on the boring side. A lot of people rave about this brand and I even had one person say it was the same as MAC. It's nothing like MAC, at least MAC bring out interesting colors and cater for all sorts of people. I noticed ELF say not so long ago that you could build a professional makeup kit with their products for a good price. I disagree, I'm a qualified makeup artist and I wouldn't use the majority of their products in my kit, especially the foundation. And you are absolutely right about other budget brands being better. MUA are pretty good and theres some good stuff from Makeup Revolution. Sleek also make some lovely eyeshadow palettes for around £8.00 which are much better quality than any of ELF's eyeshadows. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the studio flat top brush for Foundation, it makes them go on moreopaque but I'm planning og getting the Sigma (F80 I think) instead. I do have a few favorites but there are just as many "unfavorites" Yeah I would not use ELF makeup in my kit either. ELF has even started a makeup artist school in Denmark, and it's not even a cheap education. I used to really like ELF, it's nice if you are a beginner, but I'm all about textures and staying power and ELF just does not deliver that consistently enough for me. I do like their cream shadow products and their long wearing lustrous eyeshadows, those do stay on pretty well, but yeah. The only comparison between ELF and MAC is that both comapies Foundations break me out haha.

      Delete
    2. I know MAC has it's fair share of bad products but if you concentrate on eyeshadows and blushers in the permanent line the quality is much better and the pigments are amazing. They're not hit and miss in the permanent line, unlike a lot of ELF's color range. I do like the MAC Studio Fix Foundation on my skin and even better now as they do a really pale color in NW 10. When I tried ELF's foundations out I couldn't wear them as the palest color was too dark for me.

      If you want to pay a brand to teach you makeup, I recommend the Illamasqua School of Makeup Art in London. Their longer 5 day courses are not cheap, but you do get to use top quality stuff and learn from some really talented people. Some courses even give you a kit worth over £100 included in the price.

      http://www.illamasqua.com/explore/school-of-makeup-art/

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the advice. I'm not looking for a beauty school, I just thought it was fun/silly that ELF had one, where students learned to put on makeup with ELF products. Yeah ELF Foundations are too dark and orange for me too. I have liked pretty much everything I have tried from MAC (wich is not that much) I even loved the way the Foundation looked, but my skin just did not agree with it.

      Delete
  8. Quite a few people don't get on with MAC foundation. NARS Sheer Glow is what I use in my kit. it's more expensive than MAC but it's pro quality and great for photographic makeup as it doesn't have SPF, so no flashback.

    In the ELF store in Cardiff they offer makeovers for £25.00 and it's redeemable on products. They are charging around the same price as all the expensive high end brands for a makeover. Couldn't believe it when they gave me a leaflet on it. I'd expect their makeovers to be a lot cheaper to Dior, NARS and Urban Decay. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah NARS Sheer glow is super poplar, it seems to be in everyones 2014 favorites, maybe that's one thing I should pick up this year. Wow that expensive for an ELF makeover.

      Delete
    2. I know, for their products it should be a lot cheaper. I think they are trying to copy the high end brands but seem to be doing a bad job at it x

      Delete
  9. I do a lot of e.l.f. hauling and recently more from US store (for other folks- my haul totals usually around 200USD) - the UK store has failed to provide proper discounts since July 2014.
    e.l.f. is worth shopping at only during a 50% sale - that stuff is not so good, I personally am only after the brushes (BB cream was also surprisingly nice).
    So many duds, so many dried up liner pencils and mascaras and poorly pigmented eyeshadows! I mostly pass on all the Essential line stuff.

    I'll be looking forward to the favorites post :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Yeah I can't wait to do the favorites post, But I need to repurchase some thing first so I can see if they are still favorites worthy.

      Delete

© *Loevens makeup rambles*. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig