Friday, June 19, 2015

finding your lipstick shade.

First off, let me start by saying, that I think you should wear whatever lipstick shade you want. I don't care for it, when a magazine tells me, what lipstick Shades that matches my complexion. They often get it wrong anyways. Matching a lipstick to yourself is about much more than complexion. It's also going to look good or bad on you, depending on your hair color, the rest of your makeup, and ofcourse your own preferences. So I'm not going to tell you wich Shades suits wich skin tones, because I don't believe in that. What I'm going to do today, is give you some tips, to better find that lipstick match.

1. Don't swatch on your arm. Your arm is not going to be the same color as your lips. I'm pale, so when I swatch on the arms, it will look a LOT darker, than it actually looks on my lips. Try swatching on your fingertips, these tend to be darker and more reddish in tone, wich will give you a more accurate swatch than your arm. It's still not perfect, but it's an improvement. Just take a look at the Picture above and see what difference is makes.

2. Please please don't pick up a tester and put it on your lips, I see girls do this all the time and it makes me cringe. What you can do however, is open the lipstick and hold it up, like I do in the above Picture. This will give you a great idea of how the color will look on you, and if it will suit you.  I know it's not the most flattering picture, but you get the point. This is a great method to use, but I would suggest you also swatch it, to see how sheer or opaque it is. Some lipsticks may not apply true to the color in the tube.

3. My final tip, would be, to get a cheap lip palette with all sorts of different colors. Then just try them on to see what you like. Once you have found a shade that you really like, you can then scrape that lipstick out of the palette and put it into a Little container, that you can carry in your pocket. So when you go lipstick shopping you can compare the Shades in the store, to the lipstick you have in your container. Once you start experimenting a little with lipsticks, you will get a better feel for what colors you like, and what will suit you.
 
I hope you liked my tips. I have used these quite a lot myself. I do shop online often, wich makes it harder to ensure that you get the right shade. But I always read reviews and look at swatches before buying anything. When looking at swatches online, I do take note of the girls skin tone. I'm super pale, so my swatches will always look darker than the lipsticks will appear on your lips, especially if you are medium or Deep compared to me. I actually prefer swatches on medium skin, as this gives me the best indicator for how the color will look on my lips, strange, but it's true.

If everything fails, I have made a post called "you bought the wrong lipstick shade, now what?" It's full of ideas and alternative ways to use your lipsticks.
 
 
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Lip palette seems great! I have to try one. Nice tips dear :)

    bjorkiagadzotica.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great tips! I like the idea of buying a multiple for trying out different shades. I always research swatches and, especially photographs of the color on someone with light skin. It's so funny because I love light pink colors but, when I see them on someone, I know immediately that they wouldn't work on me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I've gotten pretty good at telling if a color would look good on me or not, just from seing s swatch, but believe me at first I had no clue. I just bougt colors that looked pretty in he tube and they often turned out horrrible on me... lesson learned hehe

      Delete

© *Loevens makeup rambles*. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig